New England, including: Pendleton, Porter, Batchelder, Black, Bryan, Carver, Chase, Coombs, Crosby, Dollof, French, Griffin, Libby, Merrithew, Nichols, Nutter, Pitner, Shute, Smith, Ward,
JOSHUA PENDLETON was born 2 Jun 1755 in Stonington, CT and died 1 Feb 1844 in Belfast or Northport, ME. He married SALLY OR NANCY NUTTER. Around 1771 he settled in Islesboro Maine with other members of his family. Sometime around 1810 he moved to Northport Maine and it was here in War of 1812 that his home was robbed by the British (tradition says it happened in Revolutionary War!) At the time of his death, his widow was "Catherine" Patten who was his 4th wife.
GENERATION 4 - CHILDREN OF JOSHUA AND SALLY
Children of JOSHUA PENDLETON and SALLY or NANCY NUTTER are:
NANCY PENDLETON, born in 1775 at Islesboro, ME, died on January 3rd 1830. During her lifetime she married WILLIAM PENDLETON, likely a cousin on January 9th in 1795. William was born June 17th 1769 in Westerly RI and died on March 20th, 1824 in Searsport -- about 5 years before Nancy. Both are both buried in Bowditch Cemetery. William Pendleton was the son of Peleg and Anne Park Pendleton of Searsport and the twin of Abigail Pendleton. See next generation.
SALLY PENDLETON, born in 1777 at Islesboro; married Alban Elwell about 1794; died in 1854. No other information.
LOIS PENDLETON, born in 1781 at Islesboro; married William Burns JR. of Islesboro on 22 January 1799. She died in Bremen Maine on June 10, 1866.
One of their sons, Nelson, went to Australia, where he married and had his family and his descendants now spread over both Australia and New Zealand. Tradition says...Nelson jumped ship when he got to Melbourne, Australia. And that he was married to a Susan L before she died in 1851, perhaps in Maine. Ultimately in Australia he met Mary Ann Martin and they have 5 children, then married and had 7 more.
1ST POSSIBLE WM. BURNS PARENTAGE:
Nelson's father, William Burns, was the son of William Burns Sr. b 1741 in Boothbay area of Maine and Elizabeth Young b 1746. Elizabeth was Sr.'s second wife and they wed on July 26 1767. Sr.'s first wife was Margaret Fullerton, whom he married in Boothbay about 4 years earlier (about 1763) and must have divorced as Margaret was born 1741 and did not die until April 17, 1822 in Boothbay Maine after she became Mrs. William McClintock in 1773 and had 2 children with McClintock.
Other new info: William Burns died October 28, 1856. Lois and William Burns likely had the following children:
2ND POSSIBLE WM. BURNS PARENTAGE From "The Old Bestia Book":
"William b.Nov.12, 1733, m 1st
Mary (Maxwell), m 2nd Elizabeth (Young) T.R.2
ABIGAIL PENDLETON, born in Islesboro; married twice and died in 1860 in Lowell MA. First husband was George W. Elwell; second was a Mr. Robbins.
ADDITIONAL CHILDREN WERE: Mercy, b. 28 Dec 1788 and married Lewis Elwell. Andrew died at age 21 years. Joshua Jr. b. June 1793 and married Eunice R. Calief. Luther, b. 5 Dec 1794 m. Nancy Nichols. Thomas, b. 1796 or so and married Grace Drinkwater. Lydia b. 30 Nov 1798 likely and married Stephen Warren. Joseph Jones b. 27 Oct 1799 and married Eliza J. Brackett. Thankful, m. James Flanders. Benjamin Ames b. 25 June 1812 and m. Frances Ann George.
GENERATION 5 - CHILDREN OFNANCY AND WILLIAM
GENERATION 6 - LOIS & SAMUEL SHUTE
LOIS PENDLETON was born 12 Apr 1799 in Islesboro; died 03 Dec 1825 in Stockton Springs. Lois married SAMUEL SHUTE Oct 1820. He was born 23 Jul 1798 in Searsport, ME. Their children were:
GENERATION 6 - JANE & PELEG PENDLETON
PELEG PENDLETON, born 29 May 1800 in Islesboro, married JANE ELIZABETH BATCHELDER, daughter of DANIEL and LOIS WILLIAMS BATCHELDER . She was born 20 Oct 1807 in Thorndike ME, and died 26 Mar 1879.
Their children are:
1) WILLIAM PENDLETON, b. 17 May 1830, Prospect ME.
2) LOIS ABIGAIL PENDLETON, b. 27 Feb 1832, Prospect.
3) NANCY CATHERINE PENDLETON, b. 28 Oct 1835; m. WILLIAM CROSBY
4) DANIEL BATCHELDER PENDLETON, b. 11 Jun 1837, Thorndike.
5) ASENATH HASKELL PENDLETON, b. 16 Aug 1845, Thorndike; d. 11 Apr 1916, Thorndike. DANIEL B. DOLLOF; b. 1842; d. 1878
6) LUCY BATCHELDER PENDLETON, b. 16 Aug 1845, Thorndike
GENERATION 6 - FANNY & JOSEPH PENDLETON
JOSEPH PENDLETON, born April 11, 1803 in Islesboro, married FANNY COOMBS, daughter of JAMES AND PATIENCE MERRITHEW COOMBS. She was born 17 Oct 1802 and died two days before Christmas in 1871. They are buried at Bowditch Cemetery in Searsport.
Their children are:
1) SUSAN C. PENDLETON
2) JOSEPH PENDLETON, JR, b. 1828, Stockton Springs; d. 18 Oct 1854 at sea when he was 26 years old. He had married CLARISSA GRIFFIN who was born in 1831 in neighboring Searsport. Clarissa died 23 Dec 1871.
3) FRANCIS ABIGAIL PENDLETON, b. 18 Jan 1831; m. NATHAN PENDLETON CARVER, 06 Aug 1851; b. 18 Feb 1829; d. 05 May 1904
4) MARY ANN PENDLETON, born 24 October 1832.
5) GEORGE WASHINGTON PENDLETON, born on Christmas Eve in 1834.
6) ↓TIMOTHY COOMBS PENDLETON, born May 1837 in Searsport and died July 1893 in Seattle Washington.
7) CHARLOTTE W. PENDLETON, born September 20, 1839. She married CHARLES G. CHASE.
8) BENJAMIN COOMBS PENDLETON, born December 19 1844 and died on or after Aug 8, 1886. Per grave: In memory of Capt. Benj. C. Pendleton and Family, Master of Bark Abbie Carver which sailed from Hongkong August 8, 1886 bound to Callao (Peru) and never heard from. Benjamin Coombs Pendleton
Generation 7: ROBERT & LOIS SHUTE PENDLETON
LOIS ABIGAIL SHUTE, born 1825 in Stockton Springs; died 10 September 1881 in Auburn, ME. She married first to Capt. WILLIAM P. PORTER on 23 Jan 1843. They had one child, Mary Brastoe Porter, born January 8, 1848 in Providence RI. Capt. William Porter lived only until Mary was about 7, as he died in 1853. She next married William's brother, Capt. ROBERT PORTER, on Christmas Eve 1856; he was born 22 Dec 1816 in Searsport and died October 7, 1888 in Jefferson, GA
Capt. ROBERT PORTER, had previously married MARY ANN NICHOLS, daughter of JAMES NICHOLS, on January 29th 1840. They were together for 15 years. Mary Ann died on the 1st of October 1855 at sea. About a year later he married Lois Abigail Shute Porter, widow of his brother Capt. William Porter who had died about 3 years earlier.
From his first marriage with Mary Nichols Porter he had the following children:
1) ANN M. PORTER, b. 09 Apr 1844, Searsport; d. 22 May 1934, Providence, RI; m. ALPHEUS FRENCH.
2) CHARLES R. "CHARLEY" PORTER, b. 12 Mar 1847, Searsport; d. 09 Nov 1864, at sea.
3) MARY ABIAH PORTER, b. 20 Jan 1849, Searsport; d. Sep 1920, Providence; m. WILLIAM F. BLACK.
1850 Census Searsport Maine
4) WILLIAM LINCOLN PORTER, b. 19 Jun 1851, Searsport; d. St. Anne's Bay, Jamaica while working aboard the Bark Fanny Buck; m. NETTIE P. LNU
5) NANCY ETTA PORTER, b. 07 Dec 1852, Searsport; d. 06 Jan 1872, Searsport..
From his 2nd marriage with LOIS PORTER he had the following children:
6) WILLIAM ROBERT PORTER, b. 24 Sep 1857, Searsport; d. 1 Jan 1930, San Jose, CA; m. MELVINA CLEWLEY PENDLETON, 05 Jun 1882, Boston, MA; b. Oct 1861; d. Oct 1900
7) FRANK MERRITHEW PORTER, b. 13 Mar 1860, Searsport; d. 28 Sep 1888, Louisville, Jefferson, GA; m. BESSIE BRYAN, 14 Feb 1888.
1860 Census Searsport Maine
8) CLARA THURSTON PORTER, b. 15 Aug 1863, Searsport; d. Feb 1941, Brookline, MA; m. EUGENE PENDLETON CARVER; b. 5 Sep 1860, Maine; d. 26 Feb 1924.
9) ROBERT PORTER, JR. b. 26 Jul 1867, Searsport,; d. 14 May 1925, Santa Clara, CA.
1870 Census Searsport Maine
In the 1880 Census, Robert was 67 years old and a "retired sea captain" and his wife was 54. Son, William R. Porter was a "seaman" at age 22. Son Frank M. was 20 and "At School" Daughter Clara was 16 and son Robert Jr. was 12. All born in Maine.
MARY EMMELINE PORTER (1837 -1913) married Stephen Bowers Smith (born 1836) on 11 Nov 1857 in Stockton Springs. Stephen, born 18 Sep 1836 in Stockton Springs, was the son of WILLIAM SMITH & wife, ELIZA MILLS SMITH. Stephen died in Sommerville Massachusetts on 31 July 1915. The photos of Mary Emmeline are courtesy of Judith Hopping. THANKS!!!
Children of MARY PORTER and STEPHEN SMITH are:
Mary Emmeline Porter Smith's home in Sandy Point, Searsport, Maine in 1900. Back of the photo says it was built by the Porter family in 1845, and purchased by Lauriston Smith for his parents. Sitting in front of the house are his wife, children and nanny holding the baby.
Lauriston Smith and three of his four children: Stephen, Lauriston Jr. and Mabel. The woman is his sister, Leila Smith Libby.
This is Mary Emmeline Porter taking her granddaughter Mabel Smith for a walk in Searsport/Sandy Point Maine about 1900.
From right to left this is Mary Emmeline Porter Smith, her husband Stephen B. Smith, and their daughter Leila M. Smith Libby.
Mary Emmeline is certainly a highly photographic woman with stern, strong facial features. Living in Maine can be very harsh and she carries herself as being up to the task.
BELOW Description: Mary Emmeline Porter Smith and Stephen B. Smith had three children pictured here with spouses. From left to right: Lauriston Smith, unknown man, Leila Smith Libby, unknown youth, Sarah Mabel Pitner Smith, James Libby, Mary E. Smith.
Great picture of the family! Thanks much, Judith!
This is the interior of the Sandy Point Maine house belonging to Mary Emmeline Porter Smith.
Please share information....Pictures, etc.. email@example.com
By Maine Genealogical Society (1884- ), Maine Probate court (Lincoln Co.)
Copyright ©2003-2015. All Rights
Click here to send mail to Donna and Patrick Cator with questions or comments.
Visit Caren Keyser's Art
Visit , a 2004-2005 "101 Best Websites for Writers" by WritersDigest.com